City Litter
Ordinance in Effect

Please join
the National Pension
when you turn 20

Health Care System

Information from City Hall
HomeOitaGuidebookSister CitiesJapanese

Helpful Information for
Living in Oita City

City Litter Ordinance in Effect

 Citizens and business owners have joined with city administration in an effort to keep Oita a clean and beautiful city. The “Oita City Litter Ordinance” sets rules that prevent littering, including cigarette butts, drink containers and animal waste. It also prohibits smoking in certain public areas.

 The ordinance applies not only to residents, but also to students, visitors, commuters, and all people visiting Oita city.

Ordinance Details
 (Within city limits)

  ・Littering of cigarette butts is prohibited
  ・Animal waste must be properly disposed of

 (Enforcement area only)
  ・Smoking is prohibited in public areas (except at designated smoking areas)

◎The ordinance is effective January 1, 2007

 Within the enforcement area, individuals found in violation, such as smoking or littering cigarette butts, will first be given a warning,
then fined \2,000 if the violation is not corrected.

 Outside the enforcement area, individuals will first be given a warning.
If the violation is not corrected, the individual’s name and details of the offense will be made public.

 <Drink Containers, etc.>
 Cans, glass bottles, plastic bottles, other containers(including contents,
caps, lids), chewing gum, wastepaper, wrapping paper, and any other items considered to be trash when thrown away.

 <Public Areas>
 Streets, parks, plazas, rivers and other shared public spaces

Enforcement area Designated smoking areas

Please join the National Pension when you turn 20

 All individuals between the ages of 20 and 60 must join the National Pension Plan, regardless of nationality.

 Because of this, some foreigners would be required to join both the pension systems of their home country and Japan, thus paying premiums for both systems. However, the Social Security Agreement allows individuals from Germany, the U.K., Korea, the U.S., and Belgium, to remain enrolled only in the pension systems of their home countries, as long as certain procedures are followed.

 In the case of a student whose income is lower than a certain level, payments may be postponed by the “Special Pension Payment Exemption for Students.”

 Any person that has completed resident registration or alien registration in Oita city should apply at the Pension Plan Office, a city hall branch office, Akeno district office, Hon Kamizaki Office, or Isshakuya Office. Company employees and civil servants, however, do not need to apply, as their employer will handle the application for employee and mutual pensions.

●National Pension Plan Types and Application Procedures
 National Pension Plan coverage is divided into the 3 following categories. Application procedures for each category follows after.

(1) Category 1 - Individuals living in Japan between the ages of 20 and 60 that do not fall into category 2 or 3.

 ◎Applications must be made in person at the pension plan office of the individual’s resident town.

 ※Foreign individuals falling into category 1 should first complete alien registration, then apply at the pension plan office of the same location.
(2) Category 2 – Individuals that are employed, and are enrolled in an employee pension plan.

 ◎Enrollment will be handled by the employer. No application is required.

(3) Category 3 – Spouses that are supported by individuals in category 2, and are between the ages of 20 and 60. (dependent spouse)

 ◎Applications must be carried out via the employer of the supporting spouse.

●Monthly premiums are \15,040. (April 2013 - March 2014)

●When paying premiums is not possible

 When low income or other circumstances prevent payment of premiums, a petition may be made for exemption or student pension payment deferment.

●National Pension Plan Payments(2013)

(1) Basic Pension for the Elderly – Eligible in principal to individuals over 65, who have paid pension premiums for at least 25 years.

 ◎Yearly benefits \778,500 (in the case that premiums are paid for 40 years)

(2) Basic Pension for the Disabled – Eligible to enrolled individuals that acquire a disability of first or second-degree due to an unforeseen illness or injury.

 ◎First-degree yearly benefits \973,100 Second-degree yearly benefits \778,500

(3) Basic Pension for the Bereaved – Eligible to surviving family (wives that have children, or the children themselves) of a husband, if deceased while enrolled.

 ◎Yearly benefits \1,002,500 (in the case of a wife and one child)

 ※Base benefits \778,500 + additional benefits \224,000
  Additional benefits vary according to number of children.

 ※Eligibility for disability benefits and bereavement benefits requires certain pension payment conditions to be fulfilled.

●Lump-sum Withdrawal Refunds

 Foreigners that have not fulfilled the minimum requirements to receive basic pension for the elderly may claim, within 2 years of leaving Japan, a lump-sum refund based on the number of months premiums were paid.
 (6 months of premium payment is the minimum required for eligibility)

 ◎For more information, contact the Social Insurance Office.

 Oita City National Health Insurance and Pensions Department
 Pension Plan Office
 Phone: (097)537-5617

Japan's Health Care System

 All people in Japan, regardless of nationality, are required to have some form of medical insurance, so that treatment from a doctor is always available. National Health Insurance is an important system run by each city, town and village, that provides health coverage to those who are not enrolled in a company health insurance program.

 Residents of Oita City that do not fall into one of the following groups must apply for National Health Insurance.

1. Persons covered by Health Insurance (either Government-run Health Insurance or Employee’s Health Insurance) or Seamen’s Insurance, and their dependents.

2. Members of mutual aid associations (such as civil servants) and their dependents.

3. Persons covered by the National Health Insurance Society.

4. Persons receiving welfare benefits.

 Please contact the National Health Insurance and Pensions Department for applications.